Monday, October 27, 2008

Progress

Well, we cleaned all the cabinets with TSP alternative, and started priming. We have made some significant progress! I will be at it for awhile, I think.

Here is before of the wooden shelf with fabric front and the poorly chosen hunter green cabinets.
Here is after a coat of primer and putting an inexpensive closed cabinet in the place of the covered wood one. We have decided NOT to put the cabinet doors on the uppers right here. The trim around the door, the lower cabinets and the windows need another few coats of primer and then all finished with a high gloss paint. I am contemplating a color on the inside back of the cabinets.
We also painted the dog door cover white to match since I snapped this pic! The sad part was they had painted over all the hardware and we couldn't even get it off the cabinets. So it stayed and was painted white.
Here is another green picture.
And the same area primed (from a different angle of course)

Clearly we are putting doors back on those bottom cabinets, but they need more paint and why put them back on until they are done.

In my dream world I would replace that dishwaser with a white one (immediately if not sooner), replace all the cabinets (especially base ones) and the counter surface.

I really feel the previous owners had huge dreams (and architect drawn plans to prove it) and let perfectionism become a crutch. When you can't accept 'good enough' you paralyze yourself. They lived for many years (12) with those green cabinets they hated too! The hubby was an amazing workman and he just waited until he could do it 'right'....so it NEVER got anything done. I will take 'good enough' and done over miserable any day.

Speaking of which, the hubby, who did all the work in the sunroom (see previous posts) complemented me on how I had it decorated. I had a little moment of sad, because I think they worked on it all those months/years and never just ENJOYED it. Again...perfectionism! I do, however, appreciate the perfectionism he put into that sunroom!

4 comments:

Tracy said...

It's amazing what a coat of paint can do! Looks like you've been real busy but it really paid off!

Joy said...

WOW, even with just the primer the kitchen looks soooooo much better! And it looks bigger too, since the paint reflects the light instead of absorbing it. Can't wait to see the finished project! I'm sure it will be beautiful.

Liz Harrell said...

I LOVE seeing what a huge difference white paint makes! Cant wait to see the finished project!

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Chez,
Looking GREAT with just the primer:) and I also can't wait to see the finished cabinets:)
Warmly,
Deb