Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A very hard appointment to keep.....

Today, on my 34th Birthday, I must meet the vet and hold Ruby's head while she goes to sleep one LAST time. Ruby is my son's girl. She is a foster and came to us already old and with some issues (founder and arthritis). She has been getting more painful, more often and we can not let her endure more days of pain than of happiness. On Sunday I bathed her, clipped her little old muzzle and gave her mane a trim. She should look like a show pony even on her last day!
The photo above is of her nuzzling her silly boy (upside down?) yesterday! I just can't imagine how I am going to do this! Check out http://horse.friendsofferdinand.org/index-%20eight.html
for more about Miss Ruby Tuesday (Duncan's food obsessed mind added the Tuesday).
So, wish me strength today as I endeavor to do what is right instead of being selfish. I fully intend to give her all the goodies she could not have in her last years...sweet feed, fresh grass, apples and carrots. I would wish for chocolate cake on my last day, why not her?

2 comments:

Jaci said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Ruby... I know you're making a tough but loving decision.
How do you give a hug through email?!!!
Lya
Jaci

Sharon~heartsongs said...

This won't be a very happy birthday for you. After reading this, you will be on my mind and in my prayers today. I am so sorry that you are going thru this. It is a very, very hard thing to do.
I wish you the best,
Sharon