Tuesday, January 27, 2009

What is that smell?

I came home a few days ago to my Paperwhites blooming. My first time growing them. A few days later I bleached the floor in the kitchen three times, scrubbed my sink, looked under the sink and was trying to find the source of the 'weird metalic smell'. I had a friend come over, she didn't mention the smell, I was mortified wondering what she thought of me. Then my husband said "Those paperwhites smell weird". I sniffed and sure enough it is them. Now that I know it is a strong floral smell I am not mortified, but next year I think I will do Hyacinth instead. That was alot of stress!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so funny about the smell! I grew paperwhites years ago and had the same "what is that smell" experience. Since that time I don't bring that flower in the house!! THey are so very pretty though I do feel sorry for them always having to stay outside!

Hope all is well with you.

Daryl said...

And to prove that both scent and taste are highly individualized things, I ADORE the smell of paperwhites!
Daryl