Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Happy Birthday, Papa Tom

My father, Tom Russell, Duncan's Papa Tom. Today he is 62. Yesterday we took him a few dozen eggs from the chooks. It is such a weird gift, but he is difficult to buy for.
Dad's birthday always makes me a little sad. He is a life-long smoker and I lost my own grandfather at 67 from lung cancer. Each year sneaks a little more fear into my heart. We don't have a perfect relationship, maybe too much alike, but I love him and Duncan adores him!

Duncan's middle name is Thomas and I prayed when I named him that he would earn some of Dad's finer qualities.

Happy Birthday, Dad!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to your dad! You are blessed to have your dad with you still. My father passed away 5 years ago in March, and yes, it was from lung cancer. Unfortunately when our parents started smoking they didn't know the dangers to health and it is so hard for them to quit.
Just love him!

blessings
mary