Tuesday, May 5, 2009

OH YES I DID!

The weather has finally been warm enough and dry enough to get some outside stuff done. I am loving every minute. When I am not mucking stalls, feeding animals, feeding human animals, chasing goats, sleeping, working and such I am doing FUN yard stuff.

My idea of fun, might not be yours, though, so be warned! :D

This first photo (above) is of my home last September (before it was mine). The focus of today's work is the HUGE shrub between the house and my taillights. See it? You hate it too? Good, cuz I cut it out.



Anyway, the following photo is of the 'garden' as it was (with yard eating shrub in left AGAIN). The only things REALLY in this garden are the Hydrangea and some lambs ear. The rest is all container plants they had plunked in place. I was glad they did they were very pretty!

So, I took nippers and cut all the extranious shrub parts then got out the chainsaw (oh yes I did!) and cut the stupid shrub down to nubs. THEN... DH hooked a chain up to it and I pulled that sucker out with my SUV.

Then I got to work loading Duncan's Christmas wagon with rocks from beside the old barn. Since there is an uphill pull I was only 1/3 filling it. It took me five loads of 1/3 stones to complete this wall.
I have to buy a few bags of topsoil, some peat moss and some mulch to get it 'leveled' up, but it has come along way, I think.

It still needs some tweakign and the plan is to do a smaller tier below it by the basement window. Also want to put some smaller (cute) shrubs in beside the wall.
Here is another view where you can see the area where the shrub resided, the need for a second tier and so on.

Next I have to do something different with that walkway and get rid of it's boring 'squareness'. Also from this angle it looks a bit like it needs maybe even one more layer high of stone.
I have planted a rose (pink) a pink and white clematis for the downspouts, some dianthis and other stuff in the pot and will add moss rose and others as I see fit. I think the Hydrangea might have to move, b/c of color mismatch, but we will see.
I will post more pics at it makes progress. For now I am proud of this work. (oh yes I did)

3 comments:

Daryl said...

BEEEEE-U-TEE-FUL!
I did big gardening this weekend too, good for the soul. Also good for the EYES as we see our creations grow and bloom. Good work, sistah!
Daryl

solarity said...

That shrub looks big enough to *eat* an SUV for a snack! I'm glad you won.

It's so frustrating to be too far away to offer you plants. It stopped raining today for the first time in two weeks--really--and I dug up narcissus, lilies of the valley, and rue (and one daylily that snuck along for the ride--the daylilies come later) at my old house and stuck them hastily in the ground here. It was So Obvious that they should have been divided years ago that I could easily let you have some if only you were next door. One clump of narcissus about ten inches in diameter divided into two rows of plants five feet long. Go, Mother Nature!

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Anonymous said...

If you are like me you took a chair and just gazed at your wonderful work for some time!! Great job!

Thanks for the idea of using rub and buff on the hardware- I hadn't thought of that and I even have some around here- will try it!!

blessings
mary