Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Piles of Paperwork


I love what I do for a living. I am a self-employed Pet Stylist. I love MOST dogs and MOST owners and I enjoy making a silk purse from a sow's ear on a daily basis. It is rewarding, busy and I make a good living while being able to raise a special needs child. I don't know what I would do if I didn't groom. I'm even pretty sure I would do it if I was "independantly wealthy" all the sudden. Maybe not the grumpy dogs or clients.
The thing I hate is paperwork. Every year this time I ask myself who this "Uncle Sam" guy is related to and how to I disown him? I have no problem paying taxes, putting my money to the building of roads, educating the future generation etc.. What I hate is the tediousness that goes along with tax time.
Every year I swear I will "do better" and keep receipts in my computer program on a monthly basis and so on. Every year in April I am already 4 months behind for the current year as I pound away on my keyboard for little 5 and 6 dollar cash receipts. You would think I could remember cotton balls when I bought bleach, but apparantly not.
This year has added to my problems. I got a letter from the IRS saying they never received my 2009 taxes. WHAT? They cashed the check that was in that mailing, weird how that happens. So, I have to redo that paperwork. Then I realize while doing this years taxes, that I also have an itemized expense that I hadn't been taking. It is a significant number so I need to refile back to 2008. I have until the 15th of April to get 2011 and 2008 taxes in to the IRS. Then I have to refile the 2009 ones, and file 2010 in order to get the deductions I was due. In the end it will likely get me money back and be worth it, but as I dig through my files all I can think is I wish I had someone else do this. I would much rather be under piles of dog hair that paperwork.
I'll see you again after the 15th!

No comments: