Thursday, January 6, 2011

Resolving without Perfection

This whole "New Year's Resolution" thing has failed me year after year, until LAST year. I decided I would stop saying things like "I will NEVER..." and other such perfection-requiring, things. So, last year I made my ONE resolution that I would show my horse...that single thing required I do lots of little things to get there. I didn't say I will ride my horse four days a week, because then the first week I rode three I would have already failed...I didn't say I will lose 35lbs, because then when I only lost 33 I had failed.
Many of you have made and broken your perfection driven resolutions. I have a few "resolutions" this year, but they don't require never eating a single donut again...or I would have already failed that one too! :D
So I will lose at least one more jeans size, run/jog/walk a 5K, knock a few more big projects out at the house and show in at least one more show this year.
Now don't think I just wait for those to happen, but right now I am working out at the gym 3 days a week, hired a fitness trainer, am attending Weight Watchers meetings and keeping my horse happy, healthy and riding when the weather permits.... Had I said something like "I will go to the gym five days a week I would have failed last week when Duncan was home trashing my schedule!

So, let go of the perfection and just give yourself a reasonable goal and stop setting yourself up to Fail!

Happy New Year Dear friends!

1 comment:

judi said...

wise words to the perfection-weary!
as the saying goes, how do you eat an elephant?
answer: one bite at a time.
or as dave ramsey would say, have a plan and take those baby steps!